JIBC to hold event for high school counsellors
October 21 event to provide an overview of JIBC and feature multimedia presentations
JIBC will hold the Institute’s first annual event for high school counsellors on October 21, 2011. The event will take place from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm at JIBC’s main campus: 715 McBride Boulevard, New Westminster.
In recent years, JIBC has received increased inquiries from high school counsellors, students and parents who are interested in learning more about careers in justice and public safety. The event will give counsellors an overview of JIBC’s wide-ranging programs and courses, and provide them with information that can be shared with their colleagues, students and parents as they explore post-secondary education options and career paths.
As Canada’s leading public safety educator, JIBC offers innovative education and training in policing, fire fighting, corrections, emergency management, paramedicine, leadership, conflict resolution, Aboriginal programs, and other areas. Our expert faculty are active in their professional fields, and we provide a range of student support services that contribute to the success of our students.
The event will feature a number of multimedia presentations on educational areas at JIBC, including the following:
- Law Enforcement Studies Diploma (LESD): The presentation will convey how the two-year LESD program provides students with the theoretical background, applied skills and specialized knowledge to become superior candidates in a recruiting process for a range of investigation and law enforcement occupations.
- Emergency Management Division: This session will define what emergency management and an emergency operations centre are. It will also include a tour of the Dr. Donald B. Rix Public Safety Simulation Building, where simulation technology used in learning will be demonstrated.
- Fire & Safety Division: The presentation will talk about the myths and realities of fire, describe the structure of the fire service, give an overview of the Career Fire Fighter Pre-Employment Certificate Program, and include a show and tell from past JIBC graduates.
- School of Health Sciences: This session will provide information on the school’s academic pathway for students. There will also be demonstrations, using a high-fidelity mannequin, of cardiac arrest management and other types of patient care.
- Centre for Conflict Resolution: The presentation will provide an overview of the concepts and skills of collaborative conflict resolution taught at JIBC. The session will also include practical tips for handling difficult situations.
- Library: Counsellors will receive a tour of the Library, which maintains a large collection of justice and public safety books, journals, video, and audio, and provides access to extensive online resources.
Free parking is available in the JIBC parking lot, as well as overflow parking at the Canada Games Pool next door. Registration begins at 8:30 am. For directions to JIBC, transit information and other information about the New Westminster campus, see the New Westminster campus page.
JIBC will also hold an open house for prospective students and their families on November 5, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, at the New Westminster campus. More details of the open house will be announced soon.
Last updated April 5, 2017