Expressive Play Therapy Certificate
This certificate provides you with the theoretical principles of holistic expressive therapy as related to the subject of trauma, complex trauma, dissociation and post-traumatic stress disorder in a counselling setting.
A selection of the Expressive Play Therapy courses are open for registration for professional development.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
This certificate prepares you to implement therapeutic materials conducive to creating a safe and therapeutic space for children and adults who have experienced loss, trauma, abuse and/or neglect.Throughout the program, you will learn about the application of creative imagery and how to work with recurring images in art, sandplay, and general play of children through the various stages of the play therapy process. Each course is designed with demonstrations of actual cases as well as providing opportunities for hands-on experience that includes the exploration of the image making process through the use of a variety of mediums including toys, art supplies, sand tray and figurines.
The program is designed for front line practitioners including counsellors, therapists, clinical social workers, and other practitioners currently working in the field with children, youth, adults, families and communities, who wish to enhance their skills and knowledge in expressive play and sandplay therapeutic interventions. It is appropriate for those learners with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/study experience.
The objectives of this program are:
- To prepare learners to provide safe, effective interventions and to choose and implement therapeutic materials conducive to creating a safe and therapeutic space for children and adults who have experienced loss, trauma, abuse and/or neglect.
- To provide learners with the theoretical principles of holistic expressive therapy as related to the subject of trauma, complex trauma, dissociation and post traumatic stress disorder in the counseling setting.
- To provide credit (credentials) for learners wishing to further their education and training (The core instructor is a continuing education provider for the Association for Play Therapy and the Canadian Association for Play Therapy, students with Master’s degrees may apply for Continuing Education Units towards registration with APT and certification with CACPT)
Participants must complete the courses within a four-year period. Full attendance is required.
All certificate courses are now offered in Qualicum Beach, BC on Vancouver Island (previously offered in Parksville, BC) with the exception of COUN-3100 and COUN-3105, which are offered in both Qualicum Beach and New Westminster. Courses in Qualicum Beach will be held at the Qualicum Beach Inn.
The following sequence is recommended:
- Expressive Play Therapy 1 (Qualicum Beach or New Westminster Campus)
- Expressive Play Therapy 2 (Qualicum Beach or New Westminster Campus)
- Sandplay Therapy: Using the Healing Power of Imagery 1 (Qualicum Beach)
- Sandplay Therapy: Using the Healing Power of Imagery 2 (Qualicum Beach)
- Expressive Play Therapy for the Grieving Child (Qualicum Beach)
- Final Project/Consultation Group (Qualicum Beach)
Courses (in recommended order) (7 credits)
|Course Name||Course Code||Credits||Days|
|Sandplay Therapy: Using the Healing Power of Imagery 1||COUN-3110||1||2|
Books & Supplies
Course manuals are supplied when you attend class, and if the purchase of books or other materials is required, you will be advised of the details when you register.
- Certificate Application Fee: $75
- Total cost to complete the Expressive Play Therapy Certificate is approximately $2,200. You pay for courses individually when you register for them.
- International tuition are calculated at 3 x domestic rates.
For individual course fees please see course descriptions or class schedule.
Students who hold a master’s degree in a related field may apply for continuing education units towards registration with the Association for Play Therapy and certification with the Canadian Association for Child Play Therapy. Please contact the Centre for Expressive Therapy for more details at www.centreforexpressivetherapy.com
The course content is appropriate for those learners with a minimum of a Bachelors degree or equivalent work/study experience.
Submit your online application form. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, to allow for adequate time to process your application.
You will also need to submit to the Admissions office:
- 250 word letter of intent describing your interest in the program and previous related education, training and/or experience.
- Work letter of reference.
- $75 non-refundable application fee. Applications will not be reviewed without fee payment.
Submit payment and supporting documents:
- Mail or In-person:
Justice Institute of British Columbia
715 McBride Boulevard
New Westminster, BC V3L 5T4
- Fax: Attention: Admissions 604.528.5653
- Phone: 604.528.5632
- Email: Admissions@jibc.ca
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Online registration is currently available for COUN-3100, COUN-3105, COUN-3110, COUN-3115 and COUN-3120 (please note that COUN-3105 and COUN-3110 have prerequisites). For other courses, please register directly with Student Services at 604.528.5590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, acceptance into the program does not guarantee your seat in a class. We suggest registering at least one month before classes begin as seating is limited.
Last updated June 21, 2018