Student Resources

Continuing Education Units (CEU)

A number of our counselling courses have continuing education credits. Contact us, or your association to find out if you are eligible.   

CPCA - Canadian Professional Counsellors Association

CCPA - Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association

Expressive play therapy students who hold a master’s degree in a related field, may apply for continuing education units towards registration with the Association for Play Therapy and certification with the Canadian Association for Child Play Therapy. Please contact the Centre for Expressive Therapy for more details at

Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)

PLAR can enable you to receive credit towards a Centre for Counselling & Community Safety certificate based on learning you have already completed, either through formal courses or through work experience.

You may need to provide specific evidence to the assessor, such as transcripts, written reports, completed projects, or audio- or videotapes of your work.

The fee for PLAR depends on the work involved in the assessment. The maximum charge is $250; fees usually range from $25 to $150. The PLAR process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Course cancellation

The JIBC reserves the right to cancel courses. A full refund of tuition fees will be issued for courses cancelled by the JIBC. In every case, as much advance notice as possible will be provided. The JIBC is not responsible for participants’ expenses (such as airline or hotel reservations) if a course must be cancelled. We truly regret any inconvenience this may cause.


Withdrawals 7 or more calendar days prior to the beginning of a course receive a full refund.  Withdrawals less than 7 calendar days from the start of the course are not eligible for a tuition refund. Refund policies differ among institutions. If you register with one of our partner institutions, please familiarize yourself with their refund policy.

Last updated January 11, 2019