Courses for Paramedics
The Centre for Professional Health Education is pleased to offer the following course for practicing Paramedics:
Prerequisites: Currently licensed Primary Care Paramedic (if non- licensed, evidence of PCP training or expired license required).
Intravenous therapy is an important aspect of definitive care within the hospital and in the pre-hospital setting. The advantages of the IV route are the control and the speed with which fluid and drugs can be administered. The Paramedic Intravenous Therapy and Protocol Update will give the BLS paramedic the skills and knowledge of a limited number of IV based protocols. This course consists of online, classroom and practice education in hospital components.
CE credits: HLTH-1410 is eligible for 20 CE Credits for the EMA Continuing Competence System
Cost: $614.41 plus GST (includes lab fee, learner services fee equipment and practice education shift in hospital) .
Upcoming Courses - Click here to register - Please check back if your course is not yet available for registration.
|Location||Online Component||F2F Workshop||Practice Education
Date Range (1 shift)
|Kelowna||Sep 12-Oct 2, 2016||Oct 8, 2016||Oct 14-Dec 9, 2016||Jul 15, 2016|
* All prerequisite documents must be submitted by August 15th so registration will close in July to allow time for this.
Students will have the opportunity to practice their new skills in the clinical setting as part of the IV Therapy Protocol Update course. They will be scheduled at least one practice education shift to meet the provincial IV start requirements for endorsement. To comply with BC Health Authority requirements, all students registered in a post-secondary educational course that requires hospital placements must complete a full criminal record check (CRC) and meet BC Health Authority immunization requirements.
In order to be eligible for the IV course, the following prerequisite checklist form and supporting documents must be received by the JIBC one month prior to the start of the online component of the course:
- Intravenous Therapy and Protocol Update Course Prerequisite Checklist
- Criminal Record Check through the Ministry of Justice, Provincial Criminal Records Review Program. Details of how to apply and access code will be provided upon registration.
- Completed Immunization Checklist - The BC Health Authority immunization requirements are different from the BCEHS employee immunization requirements. Please read the Health Sciences Division Immunization checklist carefully and ensure it is complete.
- Copy of current BCEHS Fit Test Card - The BCEHS fit test card will be considered current if it extends 60 days past the classroom date. If you do not have a current fit test card, you will not be accepted into the course.
- Photocopy of PCP License
Last updated April 27, 2016