Technology & Simulation
Develop the right skills to better manage critical incidents or events through Emergency Management technology.
Whether it's accessing free emergency management resources online, integrating GIS software into your program or enabling more effective learning through immersive simulations, the JIBC is leading the way when it comes to technology for emergency management.
What are the benefits of integrating technology into your emergency management program?
- Better engage your participants with ExPod simulation technology
- Share free resources through online collaboration systems
- Improve hazard awareness and response through Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Increase community awareness through social media and smartphone applications
At JIBC, we are continually integrating new technologies into our courses, developing completely new courses around specific technologies and looking for new ways to utilize technology to better deliver courses. And, we're proud to offer these technologies and more on our free resource site, My EM Resources.
Access Free Emergency Management Resources
Now, emergency and public safety professionals can access free emergency management resources online. This free resources site is built and maintained by the JIBC, and is designed to meet the needs of all communities, agencies and private businesses across Canada. The site is of particular benefit to remote organizations and those with limited access to regular funding for training or exercising.
ExPod is an award-winning virtual web-based immersive simulation technology that you can use to introduce real-life simulations into your training or exercise program, and:
- Develop the right skills to manage the complexities and stresses of a critical incident or major event
- Better engage participants
- Enable more effective learning
“As someone who is well informed on the current state of public safety technologies, I can confidently say ExPod stands well above the crowd,” says Timothy Collins, Managing Director of Visual Analytics for Command, Control and Interoperability Environments (Vaccine) at Purdue University.
What Is ExPod?
ExPod is a virtual simulation-based learning tool that can be used to enhance any training or exercise program. Accessible via the web, ExPod can be used to deliver immersive, interactive scenario-based training exercises anywhere, anytime.
Bring Critical Incidents to Life
ExPod is one of the best ways to bring critical incidents to life by presenting real-world scenarios that:
- Create opportunities and refine critical incident decision-making skills
- Convey a deeper conceptual understanding of complex, dynamic processes
- Assist in the development of strong, highly functioning individuals and teams
Integrate ExPod into Your Training or Exercise Program
Immersive simulation exercises can be integrated into any training or exercise program. Contact us at 604.528.5800 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how.
A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a powerful tool that can help emergency managers and first responders improve analysis and decision-making around emergency events.
JIBC's new course, Introduction to GIS for Emergency Management, provides an introduction to this technology, and its application specifically to the field of public safety, including:
- Using GIS for specific events, such as floods, earthquakes, epidemics, fires and terrorist attacks
- Applying GIS during the 2010 Winter Olympics
- Google Earth and other mapping applications
- Spatial analysis
For more information, contact our emergency management and GIS coordinator, at 604.528.5800.
Social media applications, including Twitter and Facebook, are increasingly being used to disseminate information and before, during and after emergency events. Many first responder agencies and community emergency programs have their own Facebook pages and Twitter accounts. JIBC plans to host a Social Media for Emergency Management seminar in the near future, date to be determined.
Last updated July 28, 2016