The JIBC Foundation Be the One Gala
Celebrating 40 Years of JIBC
The JIBC Foundation Be the One Gala, featuring the Justice & Public Safety Awards, will be held on:
Thursday, November 15, 2018
Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Reception: 6 pm
Dinner and Justice & Public Safety Awards: 7 pm
Join us as we celebrate 40 years of JIBC, raise funds to support student success, and recognize individuals and groups that have shown exemplary leadership in justice, public safety, and community leadership. To experience a taste of this inspirational evening, here are a couple of past recipients of the Heroes & Rescue Award.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2018 Justice & Public Safety Awards. Please submit your completed nomination form by June 22.
Early Bird: $2,500 Table of 10, $250 Individual Ticket
After September 30: $3,000 Table of 10, $300 Individual Ticket
For information on event sponsorship opportunities, please contact us at 604.528.5986 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support.
The Justice Institute of British Columbia Foundation celebrated the achievements of individuals and groups that have made outstanding contributions in the areas of justice, public safety and community leadership at its 12th annual Awards Gala on November 28 2013, presented by Scotiabank.
The sold-out black-tie event, held at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, raised approximately $300,000 in support of student learning at the Institute thanks to the generosity of the 520 guests in attendance.
“An evening such as this provides a wonderful opportunity for us to celebrate and recognize acts of selflessness, generosity, valour, and tireless public service,” said Dave Mitchell, JIBC Foundation Director. “Each award recipient honoured last night has made an outstanding contribution. It’s important that we continue to acknowledge, encourage and reinforce the many positive contributions made by members of our community who help to keep us all safe.”
One truly memorable highlight of the evening came when 18-year-old Amanda Graham of Victoria made a surprise appearance with her mother to personally thank MCpl Nolasco for saving her life. In December 2012, a car that Amanda was a passenger in lost control, flipped over and ended up partially submerged in a water-filled embankment. Amanda was unconscious and trapped. It was through the heroic efforts of MCpl Nolasco that Amanda was rescued.
Congratulations to our 2013 award recipients.
North Shore Rescue, represented by Tim Jones
Dr. Joseph H. Cohen Award
The Honourable Thomas R. Braidwood, QC;
Anthony P. Pantages, QC Medal
Eric J. Harris, QC;
The JIBC Community Leadership Award
Canadian Armed Forces Master Corporal Brent Nolasco
The JIBC Heroes & Rescue Award
[Photos by Kim Stallknecht]
The JIBC Foundation would like to thank our event sponsors, donors, guests, the JIBC Foundation Board, and Gala Chair Marvin Storrow, QC, for making the Awards Gala a resounding success.
2013 Awards Gala Media Releases
- The Justice Institute of British Columbia Foundation Celebrates Achievements at Annual Awards Gala
- Eric J. Harris, QC - JIBC Foundation Community Leadership Award recipient
- The Honourable Thomas R.Braidwood, QC - Anthony P. Pantages, QC Medal
- Master Corporal Brent Nolasco - JIBC Foundation Heroes & Rescue Award recipient
- North Shore Rescue - Dr. Joseph H. Cohen Award recipient
- Foundation Gala early bird deadline. Buy your tickets before September 27
- Award recipients will be honoured at JIBC Gala on November 28
2012 Awards Gala Media Releases
- Steven Point - Dr. Joseph H. Cohen Award recipient
- Robert Bauman - Anthony P. Pantages, QC Medal recipient
- Cyril Ozeroff, Shayne Bucholz, John Semple - JIBC Foundation Heroes & Rescue Award recipients
- Lorne Segal - JIBC Foundation Community Leadership Award recipient
- Event Highlights - JIBC Foundation recognizes contributors to justice and public safety
The individuals and organizations listed below have all been recognized for their achievements with the listed awards.
Most recent award recipients are listed first.
Established in 1996 in honour of Anthony (Tony) Pantages, a founding member of the JIBC Board of Governors, this award is presented for outstanding contribution in the field of justice.
- The Honourable Thomas R. Braidwood, QC
- The Honourable Robert J. Bauman
- Thomas Berger, OC, OBC
- The Honourable Chief Justice Lance Finch
- The Honourable Justice Mary Saunders
- The Honourable Ted Hughes, OC, QC, LLD (Hon)
- The Honourable Wally Oppal, QC
- The Honourable Justice Frank Iacobucci
- The Right Honourable Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, PC
- Charlene Belleau, Advocate for the Alkali Lake Band (Es’etemc)
- Bob Stewart, former Chief Constable, Vancouver Police Department
- Judge Thomas J. Gove
Established in 1998 in honour of Dr. Joseph H. Cohen, a founding member of the JIBC Board of Governors, this award is presented for outstanding contribution in the field of public safety.
- North Shore Rescue
- The Honourable Steven L. Point, OBC, LLD (Hon)
- The Honourable Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond
- RCMP Commissioner (retired) Beverley A. Busson, OBC, COM, LLB, PhD (Hon)
- Ka Shade Heni (Chief) Mark Wedge
- The Honourable Iona Campagnolo, PC, CM, OBC
- Lucille Johnstone, OC, OBC
- Bryan Adams, OC, OBC
- The Right Honourable Kim Campbell, PC, QC
- The Honourable Garde B. Gardom, QC
- Captain Terry Abrams
- Dr. Les Vertesi, MD
Established in 2004 by the JIBC Foundation, this award is presented for demonstrating courage in carrying out a difficult or heroic rescue to save another person's life.
- Master Corporal Brent Nolasco
- Shayne Bucholz and John Semple
- Cyril Ozeroff
- Firefighters Without Borders Canada
- Captain Trevor Greene (Retired)
- Robert Mackay
- For providing humanitarian relief to the victims of the 2010 Haiti earthquake crisis:
- Spirit of Vancouver, The Vancouver Board of Trade
- Free The Children
- City of Langford
- Heart to Heart Haiti
- Canadian Red Cross
- Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation Canada
- Canadian Medical Assistance Teams
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Canadian Forces
- Dr. Donna Smith
- Richard & Sabine Wood
- Dr. Bob Cutler
- For ensuring the security of all at the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games:
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Vancouver Police Department
- West Vancouver Police Department
- London Metropolitan Police Service
- Canadian Forces
- South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Police Service
- Delta Police Department
- BC Conservation Officer Service
- Central Sanich Police Service
- BC Corps of Commissionaires
- Brandon Police Service
- Calgary Police Service
- Winnipeg Police Service
- For protecting lives and communities threatened by forest and interface fires throughout BC:
- First Nations’ Emergency Services Society of BC
- Fire Chiefs’ Association of BC
- BC Ambulance Service
- Conair Group Ltd.
- Ministry of Forests and Range
- Office of the Fire Commissioner
- Provincial Emergency Program
- RCMP E Division
- Consul Generals of Australia, New Zealand and the USA
- The Odd Squad
- Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria
- BC Ferries – Queen of the North Crew – Village of Hartley Bay
- Vancouver Urban Search & Rescue Team
- BC Search & Rescue Association
- 422 Transport & Rescue Squadron, 19 Wing Comox
- Beckie Harcourt
Established in 2010 by the JIBC Foundation, this award is presented for extraordinary leadership that demonstrates the value and spirit of community.
- Eric J. Harris, QC
- Lorne Segal
- Allan De Genova
- Four Host First Nations Society
- Four Host First Nations for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games: Lil’Wat Nation, Musqueam Nation, Squamish Nation, Tsleil-Waututh Nation
JIBC Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award
Established in 2012, this award is presented to an individual who demonstrates exceptional leadership and has made an outstanding contribution to the Justice and Public Safety community and a lasting impact on student learning.
- Jack McGee, CD, LLD (Hon)
- Jim Chu, LLD (Hon) and Vicki Chu
Last updated June 7, 2018