Substance Use Certificate
A selection of the Substance Use courses are open for registration for professional development (no prerequisites needed).
The Substance Use Certificate Program is getting a refresh! During this time the Substance Use Certificate will be on pause but we will continue to offer some of our most popular substance courses:
- COUN-1140: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: Increasing Understanding, January 23, 2020
- COUN-1125: Motivational Interviewing 1, January 24-25, 2020
- COUN-1110: All My Relations: Working with Aboriginal Clients, February 20, 2020
- COUN-1145: Community Voices/Contemporary Issues, March 5, 2020
- COUN-1125: Motivational Interviewing 1, March 6-7, 2020
- COUN-1135: Concurrent Disorders Planning 1, March 20-21, 2020
- COUN-1156: The Neurobiology of Addiction and Substance Use Strategies, April 24-25, 2020
- COUN-1130: Compassion and Policy: The Heart and Mind of Drug Policy Reform, May 7, 2020
- COUN-1120: Interconnected Risk, May 8-9, 2020
- COUN-1125: Motivational Interviewing 1, May 29-30, 2020
- COUN-1150: Trauma Informed Practice (TiP) in Addictions, June 19-20, 2020
All the certificate courses will remain available for customized delivery to you and your organization. For more information see customized training.
If you would like to be notified as to updates and when registration becomes available, please send us your email indicating your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org otherwise, be sure to visit this page for updates!
This program is designed for counsellors, management, and staff of health, criminal justice, and social service agencies whose clients include people who are using substances.
You will gain an understanding of the key concepts, policy, and intervention models that guide the prevention, assessment, and treatment of substance use. Specific assessment and treatment approaches, including motivational interviewing, are covered in depth.
Through class discussion, you will develop approaches to substance use issues that can be applied to a range of settings. You will come away with a clearer understanding of your own values and practice framework.
These courses can be taken individually or as part of the Substance Use Certificate. To successfully complete the certificate, students must attend the program in full and achieve 70% or higher on the written take-home final assignment.
The courses must be completed within 3 years after acceptance into the program.
All courses can also be customized for your organization, agency, or group.
Required Courses (10 credits)
Please note, acceptance into the program does not guarantee your seat in a class. We suggest registering at least one month before classes begin as seating is limited.
Certificate Program participants are required to complete a final assignment within six weeks of completing their final course.
Books & Supplies
Course manuals are supplied when you attend class, and if the purchase of books or other materials is required you will be advised of the details when you register.
The total cost to complete the Substance Use Certificate is approximately $3,000. Courses are paid for individually when you register for them.
International tuition are calculated at 3 times domestic rates.
For individual course fees please see the courses tab and click on the course code.
Last updated November 29, 2019