Irving K. Barber One World International Scholarship
The JIBC Office of International Affairs and the Fire & Safety Division is pleased to announce a new study abroad scholarship opportunity for recent Fire Fighting Technologies Certificate (FFTC) students.
Applications are now being accepted for the Irving K. Barber One World International Scholarship where recent students in the FFTC program will have the opportunity to study abroad in the United Kingdom at one of the largest fire fighter training schools in the world.
Two FFTC students will have the opportunity to gain invaluable international firefighter training experience for two weeks at Fire Service College (FSC) from March 2021:
- See and experience FSC training behind-the-scenes
- Participate in some of the world’s leading firefighter training
- Work alongside FSC Incident Ground Support Staff preparing a range of exercises
- Interact with instructors and firefighters from the UK Fire and other emergency services.
As part of the program, you will be enrolled in Fire Protection in the Global Community (FIRE-1051) with course work prior to departure and following your return to Canada. This three-credit course helps you meet your liberal studies requirements for the FFTC program.
Funded by the Irving K. Barber British Columbia Scholarship Society, the scholarship will contribute $3,500 per candidate towards travelling abroad for two weeks, including tuition, housing, meals at the Fire College, and transportation to and from the airport and Fire Service College (FSC). Recipients will also receive an additional $500 through The JIBC Foundation contributing towards tuition for the program.
Recipients will be responsible for purchasing medical travel insurance, which is conditional to accepting the scholarship, and their round-trip flight to and from the United Kingdom. Students will need to be prepared to pay additional costs and expenses for this experience. Some other expenses incurred will be meals while travelling, any off-campus meals, extra-curricular activities, etc.
Who Should Apply
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Successfully completed NFPA1001 at the JIBC from January 2020 - December 2020 (completion of the FFTC is preferred)
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who have been residents of British Columbia of the last year
- Preference will be given to students who demonstrate academic merit, leadership ability and community involvement.
- Have not previously received a One World International Scholarship
Application deadline TBD 2021.
- Download the One World Application Form.
- Download the Academic Reference Form.
- Download the Community Involvement Reference Form.
We recommend you print a copy for your files prior to submitting your completed form. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated January 29, 2020