Search & Rescue
Prepare yourself and your team with on-site Search & Rescue training from Canada's leading public safety educator.
Are you looking for a Search & Rescue course to be delivered on-site at your location? Or do you need a customized training session developed to meet the specific needs of your team?
The Emergency Management Division is able to provide customized and site-specific courses to all of our clients. We can adapt our existing SAR courses or design new courses to meet your needs.
The JIBC is also proud to partner with Emergency Management BC (EMBC), the RCMP, and the British Columbia Search and Rescue Association (BCSARA) to deliver Search & Rescue training to volunteers across British Columbia.
- To become a Search & Rescue volunteer, visit the Emergency Management BC website.
- To register for a currently scheduled course, see the SAR Volunteer Schedule.
Note: you must already be a SAR volunteer to register.
JIBC’s comprehensive series of Search & Rescue courses will benefit any organization across Canada looking to implement a new Search & Rescue model or further develop their SAR team.
Search & Rescue is the lifeline of emergency response. Whether it's searching for a lost hiker or leading a full-scale avalanche response, SAR personnel are integral to people, communities and organizations.
Our comprehensive series of SAR courses will help you introduce an effective SAR support model for your community or organization. Some of the specific topics include:
- Search & rescue management
- Team leadership and wilderness survival
- Ground search, rope rescue and avalanche response
- Hypothermia and response
|Ground Search & Rescue||EMRG-1700|
|Introduction to Search and Rescue in British Columbia||EMRG-1703|
|Ground Search Team Leader||EMRG-1711|
|Avalanche Skills for Search and Rescue||EMRG-1750|
|Organized Avalanche Response Team Members||EMRG-1751|
|Organized Avalanche Response Team Leader||EMRG-1752|
|Search & Rescue Management Current Practices||EMRG-1782|
|Search and Rescue Management Level 1||EMRG-1783|
|Hypothermia and Frostbite||EMRG-1791|
|RCMP SAR Management Distance Learning Presentation|
JIBC Search & Rescue courses are available on-site at your location anywhere across Canada or internationally. Because you pick the location, you save on transportation and accommodation costs, time away from work, and productivity gaps. We come to you whether it's at your office, a conference centre or a hotel meeting room. Or you can choose to have the course delivered at one of our campuses. Some courses are also available online.
Note that the training schedule below is for registered SAR volunteers in BC only. If you are not a registered SAR volunteer, please contact us for contract training.
- JIBC Provincial Course Expense Reimbursement Form
- BCSARA Regional Expense Reimbursement Form 2015
- SAR Training Application Form
- SAR Rope Rescue Evaluation Application Form 2016
Instructions for filling out the SAR Training Application Form:
- The student or Training Officer fills out all the required fields on the fillable application form.
- The form can be saved using "SAVE AS", in order to save it on your own computer.
- Forms are printed off and signed by the Training Officer or SAR President.
- Training Officer or SAR President either faxes, or scans & emails the form to "SAR Training".
Order the SAR Manager Romer Card Today
This quick and easy reference tool provides invaluable navigational and planning tools right at your fingertips.
|click image to view larger|
- UTM romers for 1:50,000 and 1:20,000 scale maps
- Slope indicators for reading slope angle from contour line spacing for:
- 1:50,000 scale: 20m, 100' and 40m contour intervals
- 1:20,000 scale: 20m contour intervals
- Latitude/longitude scale for minutes and seconds, 1:50,000 scale maps
- Scale for 1:20,000 scale maps
- List of standardized ICS map symbols and colours for SAR
- NEW added a compass rose
- NEW added a decimal-minutes scale to the latitude/longitude scale
The Romer Card is available from the JIBC Store at a cost of $4 each, plus shipping and handling and applicable taxes. Contact the JIBC Store.
Last updated June 3, 2016