The Institute values the diverse backgrounds and cultures from which staff and students come, and recognizes the diverse populations and communities served by its programs. This policy is designed to ensure that JIBC practices and programs reflect and support this core value.
The Institute is committed to providing a learning and working environment that delivers fair treatment to all members of the Institute’s community. The JIBC will treat people in an ethical manner and embrace fairness, integrity and respect in all of its actions. This includes all aspects of recruitment, employment and promotion, appraisal, employees behaviour towards JIBC students and clients, and the JIBC’s curriculum design.
The JIBC supports and encourages policies, practices and behaviour which reinforce the dignity, self-esteem, growth and productivity of its staff and students.
More specifically, the JIBC is committed to:
- fostering the recognition and appreciation of diversity within the JIBC community;
- promoting the full and equitable participation of individuals from diverse backgrounds in the continual evolution and shaping of the JIBC and assist them in the elimination of barriers to such participation;
- recognizing and promoting the understanding that diversity is a fundamental characteristic of the Canadian heritage and identity and that it provides a valuable resource in shaping the Institute and its curriculum;
- ensuring that individuals are not discriminated against on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or family status, disability or age, and receive equitable treatment and protection under JIBC policies and practices; and
- encouraging students involved in JIBC activities to be sensitive to, and accepting of, diversity and multiculturalism.