This procedure forms part of JIBC’s Grading Policy (the “Policy”) and should be followed and applied in relation to student grades under the Policy. Terms are as defined in the Policy.
1. The instructor or, at the discretion of the Dean, a designate is responsible for evaluating learning within a course, maintaining clear records of marks given for any course work, and the weighting of those marks on the final course grade.
2. The instructor or designate is responsible for ensuring final grades are entered in JIBC’s student information system by the following deadlines:
a. For semester based courses, within five (5) business days of the last day of the section.
b. For non-semester based or short courses, within 10 business days of the last day of the section.
3. The program area, unless otherwise instructed by the Dean, is responsible for ensuring all student exams are retained in accordance with JIBC’s Student Records Policy.
4. Although the instructor or designate normally informs students of final grades for a course, the grades are not official until they are provided to the student as part of the official transcript.
5. The Office of the Registrar is responsible for the verification/maintenance of the final grade assigned for a course.
Once grades are recorded in the Student Record System they are official and will not be changed except when:
1. A grade is a temporary grade such as ‘I’ or Incomplete, which must be converted to a final grade as per established guidelines
2. A student successfully appeals the final grade as per the JIBC Final Grade Appeal Policy.
3. An instructor or designate determines that a final grade was in error, based on evidence of omission or calculation error.
Last updated August 1, 2019
General Inquiries: 604.525.5422 | Toll-free: 1.888.865.7764 | Fax: 604.528.5518 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Campus: 715 McBride Boulevard, New Westminster, BC, Canada, V3L 5T4