This procedure forms part of JIBC’s Integrity of Research and Scholarship Policy (the “Policy”) and should be followed and applied in relation Research Associates under the Policy. Terms are as defined in the Policy.
The purpose of this procedure is to enable the Justice Institute of British Columbia (“JIBC” or the “Institute”) to identify and recruit external Research Associates as members of the JIBC’s Applied Research community and to enhance the Institute’s research capacity. The role of Research Associates is to support JIBC’s Strategic and Applied Research Plans and the Centre for Research, Innovation and Scholarship’s vision of maintaining JIBC as the lead justice and public safety research institution in Canada with three directional research goals: 1) to advance the knowledge, theory and practice supporting the justice and public safety professions; 2) to examine the role and functions of, and the stressors on justice and public safety practitioners; 3) to provide evidence supporting the experiential learning used to create transformational learning environments.
Benefits to JIBC are:
Research Associates may undertake the following activities at JIBC:
1. Contribute to the development of new research proposals that fit within the JIBC applied research mandate and strategic plan;
2. Lead or collaborate on research activities initiated or undertaken by JIBC, including student supervision if and when applicable;
3. Provide expertise/advice on research activities, projects or proposals;
4. Consult with faculty on curricular and academic matters on request;
5. Attend JIBC meetings by invitation;
6. By mutual agreement, present occasional guest lectures, seminars, demonstrations, or workshops (minimum one presentation per 3 year term is required);
7. Assist with knowledge translation and conveyance of research evidence to key policy, decision makers, professional stakeholders and other program audiences at all levels;
8. Work in or with specialized JIBC facilities, labs or equipment;
9. Link colleagues at JIBC with other academic/professional institutions;
10. Participate in other activities within JIBC by invitation; and
11. Attend and participate in JIBC events and special functions, including convocation ceremonies.
1. Qualifications: Research Associates possess excellent academic and/or professional qualifications and/or well-recognized service records. It is recommended that the minimum qualifications for this position would be at the post-baccalaureate level or equivalent, with five or more years of research experience. Specific experience as a primary investigator, co-investigator or research collaborator is essential. Practitioners, considered highly credible and/or experienced in their field, could possess expert knowledge and essential skills to be a Research Associate.
2. Nomination Process: Research Associates must be associated with one of JIBC’s Schools and the individual must be nominated by the Dean of that School. As part of the nomination process the following Research Associate documents must be sent to the Office of Applied Research and Graduate Studies (OARGS) Administrative Assistant:
a. Curriculum Vitae (Full CV or link to CV for internal use);
b. Biography Statement: 1-2 pages short CV of the Researcher (for Web and nomination process);
c. Letter of Interest written by the Researcher that will include:
i. why the researcher would like to partake in research with the School (maximum 1,000 words);
ii. a paragraph (maximum of 350 words) describing their research, expertise and professional experience, and
iii. 3 key words indicating their research interests.
d. Once received, this information along with the School’s written expression of interest will be sent to the Dean, OARGS (the “Dean”) or, if submitted by the Dean, to the Vice-President Academic (“VPA”) for review. The School’s expression of interest will detail how this individual will contribute to the School’s applied research program or activities.
3. Approval and Appointment Process: The Dean or VPA will forward the nomination package to the JIBC Applied Research Committee (ARC) members for their review. ARC’s recommendation for appointment will be forwarded to the JIBC Senior Management Council, which makes the final approval of all Research Associate appointments.
Once an appointment has been approved, the Dean will generate an appointment letter. A copy of the letter will be sent to the nominating School Dean. The nominating School will be responsible for ensuring that the Research Associate has:
a. A Research Profile on the JIBC Applied Research website;
b. JIBC Library privileges; and
c. JIBC Research Associate business card, if so requested and conditional to available resources.
4. Accountability: Research Associates are expected to comply with the Institute’s policies and associated procedures on the Integrity of Research and Scholarship, Research on Human Participants Ethics, Commercialization of Research Intellectual Property, Conflict of Interest and Standards of Ethical Conduct, and all other applicable policies, frameworks and guidelines. OARGS will share relevant institutional policies and procedures relating to applied research with the Research Associates prior to their participation in team or research activities.
5. A JIBC Research Associate must notify and receive approval from the appropriate JIBC Divisional Director or representative prior to making any submissions, publications or undertaking any activity under the auspices of or on behalf of JIBC, as well as in affiliation or collaboration with JIBC.
6. Term/Reappointment: Position appointments are honorary and may be made for three years on a renewable basis. The Dean will coordinate the renewal process and will forward recommendations for renewal to the Deans of the Schools or the Deans of the Schools will forward nominations to the Dean, and if approved for renewal, to ARC and JIBC Senior Management Council for approval.
7. Termination/Dismissal: Either the Institute or the Research Associate may terminate this appointment before the end of its term, by giving four weeks written notice to the Dean. The termination of the appointment relinquishes all rights and/or privileges extended under the appointment. Completion or discontinuation of activities or replacement of the Research Associate for pending commitments such as contributions to a publication-in-progress, ongoing student supervision or other will be discussed and arranged through mutual agreement prior to the termination of appointment of the Research Associate.
Last updated August 30, 2019
General Inquiries: 604.525.5422 | Toll-free: 1.888.865.7764 | Fax: 604.528.5518 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Campus: 715 McBride Boulevard, New Westminster, BC, Canada, V3L 5T4