Read the BC government’s media release (September 1, 2017)
Tuition and mandatory fees for BC former youth in care will be waived for students who meet the criteria outlined below. The aim of the Program is to improve access, services and educational outcomes for former youth in care by waiving tuition and fees starting in September 2017. Program eligibility and guidelines are:
- BC students 19-26 years old (inclusive).
- Attending a BC public post-secondary institution.
- Formerly in any BC Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) category of care (except interim care) for at least 24 months (consecutive or accumulated).
- If students are outside the eligibility criteria; apply for the program through JIBC, and are denied - students can submit a request to the System Navigator (email@example.com) for appeal consideration on a case by case basis.
- Provincial Tuition Waiver Student FAQs
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the JIBC
- Download and complete the Tuition Waiver Program Application
- Please return to the form to the Financial Aid Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off the form to Student Services Centre (Registration).
Youth in Care may experience unforeseen financial emergencies, students can speak with the JIBC’s Financial Aid Advisor to help investigate possible resources available. Please call 604.528.5762 or email email@example.com.