One award of $5,000 is available annually.
Proudly supported by the Peter & Joanne Brown Foundation and through The JIBC Foundation.
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada for at least one year.
- Not a previous recipient of a Jim and Vicki Chu Legacy Award or One World International Scholarship (LESD students applying as BLES applicants).
- Enrolled in the Law Enforcement Studies Diploma (LESD) or Bachelor of Law Enforcement Studies (BLES) programs. Preference to students who will be enrolled in semesters 3 or 4 of LESD. BLES applicants are eligible for semesters 2 or 3 (Portsmouth only)
- Demonstrated academic excellence (minimum B average in cumulative GPA and a minimum B average in LESD required English courses).
- Demonstrated commitment to the international learning experience.
- Demonstrate involvement in school and/ or community activities; and capacity for representing JIBC and Canada as an ambassador. Supported by a letter of reference.
Students are encouraged to apply to more than one international exchange award (i.e. Law Enforcement Studies Diploma (LESD) or Bachelor of Law Enforcement Students (BLES) International Exchange Scholarship and/or Jim and Vicki Chu Legacy Award). However, selected recipients will be limited to one international exchange award allocation. Multiple exchange scholarships cannot be combined.
Annually there is one application deadline:
- September 25 - for 23WI semester at University of Portsmouth
- Download and complete an application form.
- Download the reference form.
- Provide an unofficial transcript as proof of academic performance.
- Provide a letter outlining personal goals and community/school involvement
- A written and supportive faculty reference, including the submission of your paper from their course. Minimum 1,000 words with faculty mark-up and grade included. Paper must include a minimum of four references and be written using APA style.
- Shortlisted candidates may be required to present a formal presentation to the selection committee relating to their essay as part of the application process.
- Students will be notified whether or not they have been selected two to four weeks after the application deadline. This notification will include information on how funds are disbursed.
Failure to complete all sections of the application form may result in disqualification of your application. Any misrepresentation will result in a penalty which could include, but is not limited to, expulsion from your program, ineligibility to be considered for future awards and forfeit of any outstanding awards.